Friday, June 27, 2008

Attack of the Hornworm!

Yesterday afternoon I noticed that some of the few remaining green leaves on my Better Boy tomato plant had disappeared. I quickly decided that some sort of hungry pest must be eating them, but when I looked I couldn't find anything unusual. Then, as I walked by yesterday evening, I happened to glance up and discovered the culprit. A huge hornworm was feasting on the poor plant. It was so large that I don't know how I missed finding it earlier in the day. In just the few hours between my first unsuccessful search and finding the offending and well-fed creature, it had stripped an entire limb of the plant. These things can really eat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That thing is HUGE! What did you do with it??

John said...

Hi Wife - who didn't know about the giant worm in our backyard until I read it on the blog just now! Don't worry, I didn't do anything drastic with it. It just decided that it would rather live on the other side of the wall.

Anonymous said...

Good grief, you don't stand a chance with pests as big as that.

Annie said...

John, I have had an attack as well. I have posted all about it on my blog. I am devastated!!! I have not killed them, but they are in a jar waiting for me to do something with them.