Saturday, July 12, 2008

Red Bugs on Okra

Some very tiny red bugs (at least I think they are bugs) have decided to make a home of our okra plants. Yesterday, I noticed that a few of the leaves were discolored just a bit. Upon a much closer inspection, I discovered lots of little red specs. These things are very small, much smaller even than a flea. A quick Internet search hasn't turned up any possibilities as to what type of bug they might be. I suppose that I'll have to find something to spray them with today. I was hoping the rain last night would wash them away, but I don't think the five drops that fell accomplished the task. But hey, at least it rained!

4 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

They are red spider mites.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if ladybugs would help?

John said...

Thanks for the comments daphne and plantgirl. They do appear to be spider mites. I'll check into the ladybug idea.

Sue Swift said...

Red spider mite loves hot dry conditions. They kill off a plant in a couple of days if they really get hold. Ladybugs won't help, but there are other mites which you can introduce which prey on them. Can't remember the name off hand but you'll find it on the net. I'm plagued by them. If you don't want to spray, the best thing is to pick off all the badly affected leaves and wash down the others. I also posted on my blog about an organic spray made of garlic and cayenne pepper. It doesn't stop them once they've got hold, but it's good early in the season as a preventative measure.