Friday, July 11, 2008

Cucumbers in a Basket

A month or so ago I decided that I wanted to grow some cucumbers. How to do this became a challenge, as I realized that I really didn't have the space for such a large and sprawling plant. So after thinking it over and failing miserably a couple of times at growing a hanging upside-down tomato, I decided that the hanging basket was the way to go. I planted a couple of cucumber seeds in the basket that I had used for the hanging tomatoes, started watering, and presto--two cucumber plants. The vines will, hopefully, trail down below the basket with the cucumbers hanging on them. Due to the size constraints of the basket, I don't think they will get too big, but we'll see.

4 comments:

J said...

Interesting idea! I'm excited to see if it works. We live in an apartment and the plot size at our community garden isn't that big, so we are trying to make the best use of our space possible. We are starting to play with the idea of more "vertical gardening". If your cukes go in hanging baskets like this, I'll have to do that next spring.

Sadly, the one cucumber plant I had kept holding on finally bit the dust a month or two back. :-(

kesslerdee said...

How creative!!! My son has been after me to grow cucumbers, cantalope etc but I never thought off trying something like this!
let us know how they do!

Price said...

Very clever...just planted herbs and a tomato plant in a basket. Cucumbers...hmmm...

John said...

Thanks for the comments Jennifer, Dee, and P. Price. It's going to be interesting to see if they put on any cucumbers. I'll keep you updated.