Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mystery Plant

This little seedling sprouted next to a Habanero that I planted last week. I have no idea what it is. I guess it could be another pepper plant or maybe some sort of weed....who knows? I'll just let it grow for a while and see.


mystery plant

My largest Heatwave tomato plant started from a seedling about the same size as the mystery one pictured above. I had bought a normal sized seedling to use in an attempt at upside-down tomato plant growing. As I transplanted it into the hanging basket, I noticed the very small plant growing beside it. I carefully removed it, planted it in a small container, and placed it under the lights for a month or so before transplanting it to an outdoor container. Meanwhile, the upside down plant turned out to be a horrible failure (but that's another story). The bonus seedling has since grown into a large plant with several tomatoes ripening on it at present.

Heatwave tomatoes ripening with basil companion plant

4 comments:

DP Nguyen said...

The mystery plant does look like the starts of a tomato plant. My boyfriend ate half of a tomato he got from the store and left the other part to decompose in one of our vegetable beds, and the seedlings that came out of it looked exactly like yours!

kesslerdee said...

I enjoyed your blog! I also am gardening in a desert climate in Arizona so it was fun to browse your posts!

J said...

How fun! We've had a few mystery plants that did, sadly, turn out to be weeds. Aw, your post makes me miss my habanero plant. Aphids got to it too bad early in the season, and the organic concoction we came up with for it killed the aphids, but also the plant. :-(

John said...

Thanks for the comments Dp Nguyen, Dee, and Jennifer. The plant is still growing and I'm still trying to figure out what it is. I'm thinking it is another habanero.